Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Football Season...


Football season starts in 2 days and I just had to share my excitement... I love football! I love the NFL and football season! I love the Pittsburgh Steelers! I love the thrill of the game and I look forward to each Sunday when the race to the playoffs continues. I love going to football parties and watching games with my husband! Okay, okay, I'll stop myself there. I admit I'm not just "one of the guys." I squeal, scream, and jump up and down during the big games. I comment on the cuteness of the players and their bums in tight pants (with a subsequent eye roll from Dave). I have sequins on my Steelers gear and some of it is pink. I make scrapbook pages of my favorite football moments. And, I usually feel just a little bit sad for the losing team (but don't tell anybody). But a person, after hearing all of this, can still not question my fanhood. I know the ins and outs of the game. I can quote stats with the best of them. I know the divisions, the divisional leaders, the best defensive and offensive players, and I know which match ups will be the most exciting to watch. I know the Steelers schedule and have my weekend or Monday night planned around watching them. I watch each play of every game I watch, and I usually have my nails bitten off before the end. I'm on NFL.com daily to hear the latest in football news. I LOVE the game. I live and breathe the game each season. And while I insist on retaining my femininity in my quest for ultimate fanhood, I can't help but feel just a touch smug with maybe a twings of pride when someone says, "Wow, she really knows her stuff." And, I think that maybe I really wouldn't mind being though of as just "one of the guys."

1 comment:

Meggan said...

I live with the sports freak of the century and you know way more about football than I do. I still have to ask questions about everything, usually because I miss what is on because I am reading. I do like the sequined Steelers shirt. It is a nice blend of "one of the guys" and "maintaining your femininity."